Embarking on an RV trip is an exciting adventure, but it’s essential to properly prepare your vehicle before hitting the open road. At The Ride RV Rental Company, we want to ensure that your journey is smooth, safe, and enjoyable. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the necessary steps to get your RV ready for the adventure of a lifetime. So, buckle up, and let’s get started!
Verify Loaded Weight and Cargo Distribution:
An essential step in preparing your RV for a trip is ensuring that the loaded weight is within specifications. Overloading your vehicle can lead to poor handling, reduced fuel efficiency, and increased risk of accidents. To avoid these issues, distribute your cargo evenly and store heavy items in lower cabinets. This will help maintain stability and prevent any potential problems during your travels.
Check RV Systems and Components:
Your RV comes equipped with various systems and components that require regular inspection to ensure optimal performance. Before your trip, take the time to:
- Verify the operation of the awning and leveling system
- Close and latch the refrigerator door
- Check drain systems for leaks or damage
- Inspect GFCI circuits, 120VAC breakers, and 12VDC fuses
- Test all appliances, safety alarms, and fire extinguishers
By thoroughly inspecting these systems and components, you’ll ensure a safe and comfortable journey for everyone on board.
Inspect Motorhome Chassis and Mechanical Components:
The motorhome chassis and mechanical components are crucial to the performance and safety of your RV. Before setting off, make sure to:
- Check the motorhome chassis oil level
- Verify that suspension airbags are inflated
- Inspect diesel exhaust fluid levels (for diesel models)
- Check the operation of lights and signals
- Inspect tire pressure, including the spare
- Examine tires for dry rot and sufficient tread depth
Taking the time to inspect these components will help prevent potential issues and ensure a smooth ride throughout your trip.
Perform Exterior Inspection:
A thorough exterior inspection is vital to ensure that your RV is in top shape and ready for the road. Be sure to:
- Inspect slide-out seals and operation
- Clean and inspect appliance exterior vents
- Test the generator (if applicable)
- Inspect the battery, clean, and verify fluid levels
- Check seat belts and fasten buckles
- Adjust mirrors, inside and outside
- Adjust window coverings for visibility
- Turn off LPG controls on appliances
- Secure internal stowage
Perform a Final Walk-Around Check:
Before leaving, conduct a final walk-around check to make sure everything is in order:
- Close exterior baggage doors
- Secure the awning
- Disconnect and store the power cord
- Close windows
- Lower the TV/satellite antenna
- Fully retract all jacks for travel
- Close roof vents
- Lock the entrance door
- Retract the entry step
Once everyone is on board, ensure that children are secured in federally approved child restraints, and all passengers are wearing seat belts properly.
- Adjust Driver’s Seat:
Finally, adjust the driver’s seat to comfortably reach and operate all controls. Make sure the seat is locked in position and avoid adjusting it while the vehicle is in motion.
By following these guidelines, you’ll be well-prepared for your RV adventure with The Ride RV Rental Company. Remember, our friendly support team is always available to assist you with any questions or concerns during your trip. So, pack your bags, hit the road, and enjoy the ride!